If you want to initiate divorce proceedings in Birmingham, your first step is to check the residency requirements for Alabama. Even if your spouse is not in the state but you have been living here for more than six months, you could file the papers. No matter the situation, hiring a divorce attorney Birmingham is always a good step, and here are six tangible benefits at a glance.
- You never know too little: With years of experience and after finalizing numerous divorces, family lawyers know every detail that matters. When you have someone with expertise, there is no guesswork, and you don’t have to rely on the Internet to collect information.
- You can tackle the paperwork better: One of the essential aspects of any divorce is the paperwork that needs attention to detail. If you don’t understand the legal terms or have no clue how to initiate the first step, your attorney can be a valuable resource for that.
- You have help for alimony issues: Getting spousal support is not going to be easy, especially if your spouse is not someone who is going to be supportive. You could qualify for alimony, but let an attorney guide you on those aspects. They will consider things like current income, whether you were employed, and the length of your marriage.
- You can deal with mediation: If there are issues that require negotiations and discussions, mediation could be a great alternative to litigation. With an attorney, you have someone who will be your advocate all through the process. They are responsible for protecting your rights.
- You have support to take steps: Whether it is a battle about child custody or seeking temporary orders from the court, you have an attorney who will navigate each step and ensure you don’t settle for less. The good news is you don’t have to pay a hefty fee, especially in a contested divorce.
- You can go to trial when necessary: Going to trial can be a real challenge, as you have to talk about uncomfortable things and must share details related to the marriage. Contested divorces are complex, and hiring an attorney makes the process less intimidating.
If you are new to engaging an attorney, check every detail related to their expertise in family law. Make sure the lawyer can take care of all issues, including division of assets, child custody, and child support. Shortlist lawyers in Birmingham now!